Monday, December 20, 2010

Keeps on giving












All of the proceeds from the sale of these candles are donated to College Visions, a non-profit based in Providence which provides low-income and first generation college-bound youth in Rhode Island with the individualized advising and resources needed to enroll in college. A mouthful of a sentence that means you can invest in the success of their dreams for the future.
A worthy gift. www.collegevisions.org

Invest in achievement - a fundraising letter from College Visions - better than a candle ...

When you contribute to College Visions before the end of the year, you support over 200 low-income, first-generation students on the path to college graduation. You invest in students like Dioni, who in 12th grade wrote: "Ever since I can remember, my mother has always told me that everything she has done has been for me to have a better future, to have a better life than she has had. She would say that to reach that better future I have to do well in school and get good grades." Like me, you're probably inspired by Dioni and his mom's hopes, and you want the same for all young people in Providence. But there are many obstacles on the road to college. Dioni continued: "I came to the conclusion that to achieve a great future, however, you need not only good grades, but also a great amount of money. When I looked at the cost of colleges, the future my mother always told me about seemed to drift farther and farther away." Sadly, Dioni's concerns aren't unique. While most high school students dream of going to college, only a small portion of low-income youth actually do. You have an opportunity to make a difference. With the help of committed friends like you, College Visions ensures that motivated students like Dioni stay on track and achieve their dreams. In fact, during the past 6 years, 94% of College Visions students have enrolled in college. Dioni's College Visions advisor worked closely with him through the admissions process, and helped him choose colleges that would provide strong financial aid. He applied to Holy Cross, which he'd never heard of before College Visions. It was a perfect match. "I wanted a good education but the deciding factor for me was financial aid. Holy Cross gave me a full scholarship! My family works really hard, but not hard enough to be paying thousands and thousands of dollars towards school, so it was great that I got the full scholarship." Enrolling in college was an important accomplishment for Dioni and his family, but it's only a first step. Now he's a sophomore math major at Holy Cross and a member of our College Success Program. With the College Success Program, Dioni has received help with financial aid renewals and care packages during exams. He's also given back to CV, helping with summer workshops and hosting College Visions 12th graders who visit Holy Cross. You have an opportunity to make sure that young people like Dioni not only enroll in college, but also
graduate. Although only 11% of low-income students who enter in college earn a bachelor's degree within 6 years nationally, 70% of College Visions' first class graduated within 5 years. These victories are thrilling, and they require partners like you - people who are committed to promoting educational equity. You understand the benefits of college education. You see the promise in young people like Dioni. And you want your support to have a lasting impact. Dioni knows that a college degree can lead to long-term financial stability for a low-income family: "In my future I see myself providing for my kids what my mother couldn't do for me, which is to help pay for college. So my future, the future my mother always told me about, is the same future I'm going to tell my kids about, and hopefully the same future they will be building for their kids." Your contribution to College Visions ensures that many more low-income students like Dioni earn college degrees. Your investment will pay dividends for generations to come. Please make a secure online donation at www.collegevisions.org/donate.html. Thank you for your support!

Best Wishes, Simon Moore
College Visions Founder & Director

PS - The Carter Family Charitable Trust has generously offered to match contributions made before December 31 up to $20,000. This offer doubles the impact of your contribution. Help us meet our match!